InvestWrite Topic For Grades 9-12, Spring 2014
The maximum number of words in the essay for this grade division is 1000 and the minimum is 400.
Teacher Background: The stock market and the bond market are a part of the capital markets. The capital markets bring buyers and sellers together to issue and trade stocks, bonds, and other financial assets. The capital markets make our country strong by providing financing for entrepreneurs to start businesses, for companies to grow and expand, and for our government to build things like schools, roads and libraries, while giving people like you and me opportunities to save and invest for our futures.
Student Question: With healthy capital markets, businesses and government agencies create new jobs and strengthen our economy. Select an investment from your team’s portfolio or one that you’re interested in. Discuss its impact on creating new jobs and strengthening our economy. What role do you think it will it play 10 years from now? Do you think it is a good long term investment? Be sure to provide examples where appropriate and cite your sources.
Six easy steps to walk you through InvestWrite:
FIRST, what you need to know about InvestWrite entries:
SECOND, share these InvestWrite GUIDELINES with your students:
- You may submit no more than 10 entries from any classroom and only one entry per student. If you have more than one class participating in The Stock Market Game program you may submit up to 10 entries per class.
- All submitted entries must address the contest assignment as stated on this website.
- Each entry must be an original work, representing the student's own research, thinking, and writing.
Each student may submit only one entry with a maximum word count of:
- 700 words for 4-5 grade
- 850 words for 6-8 grade
- 1000 words for 9-12 grade
The title chosen by each student (excluding the author's name) must appear at the top of the first page of the text. If references are cited, include them following the last page of the text. (Please note: only the body of the essay will be included in the word count, the title and the works cited will not count against the specified word limit.)
THIRD, discuss the background with your class and assign the due date. Make sure you give yourself enough time to read and select entries before the InvestWrite online submission deadline April 23, 2014.
- The format for references or works cited can be chosen by the teacher.
- Identification of the student or teacher in the essay will result in disqualification.
- Since the judges will base their decision on the author's understanding of the subject matter, rationale, and writing style, please do the same when you judge. View judging criteria.
- All essays must be submitted in plain text; no charts, graphs or symbols will be accepted.
FOURTH, read the InvestWrite entries and choose no more than ten entries per class to submit on behalf of your students. Each entry must be entered onto the InvestWrite website to be eligible. Simply cut and paste the entry from any word processing application.
FIFTH, in addition to student entries, please be prepared for online submissions by making additional copies of this page and compiling the following information for online submission:
- Teacher's name
- Teacher's Stock Market Game login ID and password
- Teacher's personal telephone number and email address
- School name, physical address and phone number
- Student's first name and last initial
- Student's Stock Market Game team login ID
- Additional information may be required at the time of submittal
This information will help us contact InvestWrite award winners!
SIXTH, return to www.InvestWrite.org to submit your top ten, teacher-judged entries for each class beginning January 27, 2014. The deadline to submit InvestWrite entries is April 23, 2014.
If you plan to participate, please help us by completing our "quick-and-easy" pre-registration form. Pre-Register now!
Eligibility and Judging Criteria:
- Teachers and students must be currently enrolled in the Spring 2014 Stock Market Game program. Teachers with classes must have a valid login ID and password. Student entries will require a valid team ID.
- Judges will base their decisions on the author's understanding of the subject matter, rationale, and writing style.
- The national judges' panel consists of selected Stock Market Game program staff that represents the SIFMA Foundation.
- InvestWrite entries that do not meet the criteria in the Guidelines will not be considered.
- InvestWrite entries will not be returned to the author.
- SIFMA Foundation reserves the right to edit, publish, disseminate, and otherwise use all entries at their discretion.